From Forge Community Wiki
The series of events for an attack goes in this order:
- LivingAttackEvent - Use this if you want to catch any time an entity hits another, regardless of damage or whether it will be successful or not
- LivingHurtEvent - Use this if you want to handle an attack that is likely to hit, but before any potions, armour, or enchantments take effect
- LivingDamageEvent - Use this if you want to take action as an entity is definitely being damaged, with the final damage amount being available.
- LivingDeathEvent - Use this event if you want to handle an entity's death for any reason, with the exception of drops.
- Global Loot Modifiers - Use these if you want to handle any drops from a dying entity.